Workplace Mental Health
Workplaces can play an essential part in maintaining positive mental health for workers.
They can give people the opportunity to feel productive and be a strong contributor to employee wellbeing. Yet the workplace can also be a stressful environment that contributes to the rise of mental health problems and illnesses. No workplace is immune from these risks and we cannot afford to limit our definition of occupational health and safety to only the physical.
Workplace mental health strategy
By having a workplace mental health strategy, you are setting guidelines and parameters for your workplace in order to create and sustain a psychologically healthy and safe organization for all employees.
A workplace mental health strategy:
- Mobilizes everyone in the organization toward a common goal for a healthy, safe and successful workplace
- Builds on the existing foundation
- Equips and supports managers to work in a psychologically healthy and safe way
- Involves workers in creating and sustaining a healthy workplace culture
- Systematically integrates psychological health and safety into how business is done
- Ensures that systems are in place to support effective training and programs
- Has a greater potential for ROI and improvements in meeting organizational goals.
Deloitte Workplace Mental Health Report
The report went on to state “Mental health programs are more likely to achieve positive ROI when they support employees along the entire spectrum of mental health, from promotion of well-being to intervention and care, as well as the elimination or reduction of workplace hazards that could psychologically harm an employee.”
Opening Minds Workplace Mental Health Program
The Opening Minds Workplace Mental Health program is in place to help organizations navigate the development and execution of an effective and sustainable workplace mental health strategy. By engaging with employers, executive leadership teams and staff of all levels, this process is designed to build or improve on any strategies that may already be in place. The Workplace Mental Health program is a four-step process:
Step #1 – Engaging senior leadership for success
Step #2 – Involving workers
Step #3 – Building psychological health and safety into operations and organizational culture
Step #4 – Evaluating the effectiveness of the system and improving
Potential benefits to a healthy and safe organization:
- Increase attendance and productivity
- Decrease amount of workplace conflict
- Lower amount of turnover
- Improve retention
- Lower disability claims
If you are interested in learning more about this service or believe it is something that could benefit your organization, please fill out the form below and someone from the Workplace Mental Health team will be in touch.
For more Covid-19 related resources please visit our Covid-19 resource page.